|1880 U.S. Census- 2nd Ward, Catahoula Parish, Louisiana|
The following six (6) points lead me to believe that Rose Watkins is the mother Paradise.
1. We know from the death record of Paradise Taylor that his mother was named Rose and that she was born in Kentucky.
2. Naming patterns were evidently of great importance to Paradise & Cynthia as they named one of their daughter Rose, and two of their sons Lemuel and Louis. Lemuel may have been named for both Cynthia's father and Paradise's suspected step-father.
3. According to the Census, Rose Watkins stated that she as well as her parents were born in Kentucky. Paradise consistently reported his mother's place of birth as Kentucky in 1880, 1900, and 1920.
|Paradise Taylor, 1880-1920|
4. Paradise and his family moved from Catahoula Parish to the neighboring Franklin Parish [where his wife was from] sometime after 1880 as he and Cynthia officially married there in 1887.
|Louisiana Parish Map|
5. The Louisiana marriage index, shows that Godfrey Neal [a neighbor of Cynthia's parents Lemuel & Ann] married Rose "Wadkins" on December 14, 1890 in Franklin Parish, Louisiana. It would appear that after Lemuel Watkins death Rose followed her son to Franklin Parish.
|1890 Marriage License|
Terrence A. Garnett
[August 16, 2014]
- 1880 United States Census, index and images, FamilySearch, Rose Watkins (Age: 50), 2nd Ward, Catahoula, Louisiana, United States; sheet 105C, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MD6K-CKH : accessed 16 Jul 2014), NARA microfilm publication T9.
- Louisiana, Marriages, 1718-1925 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- Neal, Godfrey & Rose Wadkins [December 14, 1890]: Franklin Parish Marriages; Clerk of Court, Winnsboro, Louisiana.