Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Slaves of James Neely

The Will of James I. Neely
Microfilm #: 1004551
Final Estate #: 229
Volume: C (1855-1862), Pages 490-500
County and State: Panola County, Texas
Will Filed: March 8, 1856

The State of Texas || I James I. Neely being of sound mind and memory
County of Panola    || hereby make and publish this my last will and testament.
First} after my decease it is my request and desire that my remains should be conveyed to the town of Vienna, County of Dooley in the state of Georgia where my mother and sister reside for interment.

Second} I  give and bequeath to my beloved wife, Rebecca D. Neely the use, improvements and income of the land on which I reside with the opportunity thereof the land to be divided and one half sold for the payment of my just debts. My wife to have and to hold the remainder of said property for and during the term of her natural life.

Third} I also give and bequeath to my wife , Rebecca D. Neely the following described negro property to wit:

  • Tom, Negro of Yellow Complexion, age 43 years.
  • Unity, Negress of Yellow Complexion, age 45 years.
  • Augustus, Negro of Yellow Complexion,  age 18 years.
  • Blackshire, Negro of Yellow Complexion, age 14 years.
  • Hector, Negro of Dark Complexion, age 30 years.
  • Sam, Negro of Dark Complexion, age 21 years.
  • Reubin, Negro of Dark Complexion, age 19 years.
  • Mary, Negress of Dark Complexion, age 17 years and her child age 11 or 15 months.
  • Jane (Jenny), Negress of Dark Complexion, age 29 years also Louisa her child of Yellow Complexion, age 8 years.
  • Jack, Negro of Dark Complexion, age 54 years
  • Also my interest in the Negress Milly (Emeline) and her child Laura with her increase.

 My said wife to have and to hold said negro property for her use and benefit during the term of her natural life.

Fourth} It is my will and desire that the following negro property to wit:
  • Jim, Negro of Dark Complexion, age 45 years.
  • Betsey, Negress of Dark Complexion, age 37 years
  • Judy (Judah), Negress of Dark Complexion, age 18 years with her two (2) children: Georgia, Negress, age 2 years and her infant Charles
After my decease be sold and the proceeds applied to the payment of my just debts. The balance that may remain to be appropriated for the use and benefit of my said wife Rebecca D. Neely.

[Pgs.490-491]

Many of James Neely's slaves took on the Neely/Neily/Nealy surname after emancipation according to Census and marriage records. Hector, Sam, Reubin, Milly, Laura, Judy, and Georgia.

Terrence A. Garnett

No comments:

Post a Comment